Thursday, June 2, 2011

In a box? I think not.

Okay, so here's what I've been up to recently: putting my journalistic ways to work. I've meandered through places to ask people one question: "How does God speak to you?" I know some of you may think "I KNOW! I KNOW I KNOW!" and I'll say, "Okay, tell me..." and you'll respond with "Through the Bible.... DUH!" And yes, God does speak to people this way... A LOT. But God also knows each person's uniqueness and what gets them; he knows their heart. Like the book "The 5 Love Languages" God can speak to someone in their own special way. He's not "in a box" to where the only way he communicates with people is through the Bible (please don't take this as you don't need to read the Bible because God can talk to you in other ways. That's not what I'm trying to say. At all. Read the Bible and listen in other ways).
So, I took my curious self and started asking people around me the simple question: "How does God speak to you?"
I was amazed and astonished at the answers. No, I'm not going to leave you in the dark on the answers. Here you go:
First, I'll tell you my awesome weird way God speaks to me: through music. I'll share two experiences with you. 1. I was resting in my bed in my dorm room praying and kind of (okay, I was) complaining to God. I was asking Him questions, and He would only answer with one response, "Turn on your ipod." and I sassed back (don't do it!) "I'm trying to talk to you, hear from you! And you tell me to turn on my ipod?!?!" I reluctantly got out my ipod and turned it on to where it had a song by Tenth Avenue North. I listened and asked God why I was listening, and then it hit me, a line out of the song that I had never noticed before, and it was relevant to all of the questions I was asking Him.
The second example was a woman prophesying over me when suddenly she stopped. She walked back over with someone else in hand, and the girl started singing a Kari Jobe song. I fell to the floor as the lyrics were coming from her mouth; but better yet, I knew they were coming from God's mouth.
Okay, enough of my ways. Here are some other ways:
A lady who "loved to bleach her hair", and it was, well, bleach blonde was walking across her house to spot a white (almost bleached) colored spider. She shrieked and said it was God's way of telling her He loved her, because it was a bleach colored spider, and that's just what she loves.
A friend says, when she sleeps is when God pours into her a special way of speaking: through her dreams. She shared a dream and God gave the interpretation to it, and it was beyond phenomenal.
Another responded with, well, He gives me visions, almost trance like. I could stay there for hours just soaking in what God has set before me.
Someone else said He speaks to me through writing, whether my own journals or what I'm reading, something just jumps off the page and I take it in and pray about it. Then God takes me down a path I've needed to go through for quite some time.
I'm going to stop there for now, because this blog is going to be a novel if I continue on how God speaks to individuals; however, I want to ask one question to you...... How does God speak to you in your own way? It could be a spider, music, visions, dreams, words, etc. The list goes on and on, but He knows you and what speaks to you in a special way that might not speak to others the same. So, how does He speak to you?

1 comment:

  1. I make it my goal to bring a journal with me to church service. God speaks to me and I just start writing :) It's amazing how the words just flow out on paper. I love going back and reading all the times God spoke to me. I'm able to find strength all over again! I love you Holly!
    Shamane Riley

    ReplyDelete